Naperville Retail Theft Attorney
In Illinois, retail theft is a serious offense. Depending on the value of the merchandise involved in the crime and the criminal history of the person charged, retail theft could be considered either a misdemeanor or a felony. If you or someone you love has been charged with retail theft in Naperville, it is time to contact a local retail theft lawyer from the Law Office of Ken Wang.
What is Retail Theft?
Retail theft is the formal name for the crime of shoplifting. In Illinois, retail theft includes more than simply leaving a store with goods that you have not paid for in your possession.
- Retail theft can take place anywhere that merchandise is being offered for sale, displayed, or stored.
- Retail theft can include changing, switching, or removing price tags from goods.
- Retail theft also refers to the possession of any tools used to remove safety tags, theft-prevention tags, and other interference with theft-prevention devices.
- Further, employees can be charged with retail theft if they charge less than the appropriate amount for goods.
Retail Theft Penalties
The severity of both the charge and the penalty in retail theft cases depends on two factors: the value of the items and the criminal record of the defendant.
- For first time offenders and merchandise worth $300 or less, the crime is considered a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a sentence of up to one year in the County Jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.
- For previous offenders and merchandise worth less than $300 the crime is a Class 4 felony, which carries a sentence of 1 to 3 years in jail and/or a fine of up to $25,000.
- For all offenders in situations where the value of the goods is more than $300, the charge is a Class 3 felony. As such, the sentence can be up to five years in the Illinois Department of Corrections as well as a fine of up to $25,000.
In any of these scenarios, the defendant may also be required to pay restitution to the establishment as part of their criminal punishment. When facing penalties of this potential severity, it becomes essential that you seek guidance from a local Naperville retail theft attorney that you can trust. At the Law Office of Ken Wang, we are committed to serving our clients in Naperville, Bolingbrook, and Plainfield as well as throughout Will, Kendall, and DuPage Counties and along the I-55 corridor. Contact Us today to set up your free consultation – night and weekend appointments are available.